Thursday, June 23, 2016

Cosmos (2015)

Cosmos (2015)

In 1981 Andrzej Zulawski directed a fucked up horror film called Possession starring Isabelle Adjani.  It's one of those crazy movies that doesn't exactly make sense, but you end up loving it anyways.  Granted, I love Isabelle, so it's hard not to like anything she is in, but the film is also amazing.  So when I heard the director died, I was sad.  But I was happy to hear he directed one last film before he left the earth.  So I was excited to see this playing at The Metrograph this week. 

The plot involved a family who rent out rooms in their house to tourists and people who need a place to stay.  Two guys who are traveling together decide to rent a couple rooms there, and they immediately become involved with the family.  Everything is a bit off in this film, everyone seems to have some disorder, issue, problem, etc etc.  At times it seems nonsensical, and many times characters, especially the main one, are referencing writers and books, so there may have been some things lost to me since I haven't read those books.  That being said, my entertainment level is not usually affected by my lack of knowing everything that is going on, as long as I feel I get the general gist of what is happening.  Unfortunately that was not the case with this movie.  I really felt sort of in the dark for much of it, and it made me sad as I both wanted to like this, and wanted to understand it as well. 

Most of the performances come off as wacky or even slightly mental, and at times it just felt like there was too much going on and everything was being thrown at you at once.  The acting was good, and the characters amusing at times, and the sets were beautiful and the filming was amazing.  But overall I just couldn't get into it.  The ending was even worse than the rest for me, and I felt very disappointed and unhappy by the end of it.  Considering it was the last film he made, I was hoping it to be a celebration, rather than a funeral.  Maybe one day I will be able to decipher what this movie was about.

6 out of 10 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment