Saturday, July 30, 2016

A Cat In The Brain (1990)

A Cat In The Brain (1990)

Lucio Fulci's 1990 is an odd one, to say the least.  Let me start out by saying I have this weird thing about Italian horror and giallo movies.  I LOVE the genre, but most of the movies end up only being liked but not loved, by me.  But some of watching movies for me isn't about just the overall enjoyment of a movie, but the journey as well. Of course, I would prefer the movies to blow me away, but that's an unrealistic expectation.  So although I do not specifically love any Fulci films off the top of my head, this one, as horrible as it is, was completely enjoyable!

So about this odd film of his.  Not only does Fulci direct this film, he also stars in it!  He plays, of all things, Lucio Fulci, a horror film director, who is directing a new movie.  While he is doing this, the scenes he has made for previous movies keep popping into his head and causing him distress.  Supposedly this is based on his real life, though I doubt it a bit.  Since the scenes he keeps reliving are actual scenes from his older movies, it would probably have been more boring had I seen a few of those older movies, but they were some of his last and I missed all those so far.  So Fulci, as the character, goes to see a psychiatrist, who decides to use this to his advantage and frame Fulci for some murders he wants to commit. 

The effects are pretty bad, as they can be in some Fulci films, and the story is silly and insane.  But all the Fulci style is there, even though it is way past his prime.  The acting and storyline are pretty weak, but fun and a bit over the top.  Fulci is by no means an actor, but seeing the man himself attempt this is pretty impressive.  The budget on this was like $100,000, which is nothing, but the entertainment value is huge.  Now, I realize that my take on this movie is way different than most, so do not watch this thinking it is some amazing movie, it is not.  But personally I loved it!

8 out of 10 stars.

Location : The Metrograph, theater 2, NYC
Date and time : Sunday, July 23rd, 2016 at 10:30 PM
Format : DCP
Audience : Decent crowd, about 30


No comments:

Post a Comment